Have you ever wondered why it seems so difficult to talk with some people, yet so easy to talk with others? Can you recall an occasion where you met someone for the first time and immediately liked that person? Something about the individual made you feel comfortable.
A major goal of this course is to help you understand the impact your communication skills have on other people. You will also explore how improving these skills can make it easier for you to get along in the workplace, and in life.
- Identify common communication problems that may be holding you back
- Develop skills to ask questions that give you information you need
- Learn what your non-verbal messages are telling others
- Develop skills to listen actively and empathetically to others
- Enhance your ability to handle difficult situations
- Deal with situations assertively
1. Course Overview
2. Creating Positive Relationships
3. Growing Our Self-Awareness
- Do You Question Your Competence?
- Developing Confidence
4. Communication Basics
5. Communication Barriers
- Case Study: New Neighbors
- Common Barriers
- Applying the Answers
- Being Mindful
6. Asking Questions
- Asking Good Questions
- Pushing My Buttons
7. Listening Skills
- Can You Hear Me?
- How Do You Rate Your Listening Ability?
- Active Listening Skills
- What is Said and What is Heard
- Communication Situations
8. Body Language
- What Do Our Bodies Say?
9. Communication Styles
- Dichotomies in Theory
- Dichotomies in Action
10. Creating a Positive Self-Image
- Seven Things People Determine from Your Appearance
- Pre-Assignment Review
11. Frame of Reference
12. Techniques for the Workplace
- Prepare, Prepare, Prepare
- Testing Our Theories
- Delivering Your Message
- Case Study: A Negative Image
- The Assertive Formula
- Expressing Your No
14. Personal Action Plan